Adding a dog to your family is a big commitment.
Just as you would train up a child how to behave; your canine needs training to successfully blend into your family.
Northeast Ohio dog trainers Ann Trupo and Bill Oliver join Regina to share tips on how to train your dog. Or, in their words, it’s really about training ourselves so we can better communicate with our dogs.
“We treat dogs like little humans in fur coats and dogs treat us like dogs,” says Bill Oliver.
Oliver says owners tend to put human behaviors on their dogs and treat them accordingly. He says this confuses the dog and leads canines to believe they are responsible for you and not responsible to you. In other words, the dog loves you but the dog doesn’t feel the need to listen to you.
Both Oliver and Trupo answer listeners’ questions throughout the show. They provide insight into:
- How to get your dog to stop going to the bathroom in the house;
- How to keep your dog from jumping on people;
- How to stop your dog from chasing animals or cars;
- How to get your dog off your furniture and onto furniture you’ve specifically set aside;
- How to choose the right dog for your family.
It’s the basics of dog training here at “The Regina Brett Show.”
Listen to the full show audio here